The County Board of Education provides policy and programs for which the Board is responsible, adopts the budget, provides leadership and liaison with the Yolo County Office of Education, and performs legal appeal and planning functions as required by law.
Duties of the board are not precisely detailed in any one place. Some of the duties of the county boards are included in Education Code Section 1040. The code states County Boards shall:
- adopt rules and regulations consistent with the laws of this state for their own government;
- keep a record of their proceedings;
- approve the annual County School Service Fund budget of the Superintendent of Schools before its submission to the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
- set the Superintendent's Compensation
- oversight responsibility for specific provisions relative to contracts, fixed assets, and specified compensation issues (per AB 857); and
- review, as a scheduled agenda item at a regularly scheduled public meeting, the report of the annual audit provided for by the county superintendent of schools.
The major functions of the Yolo County Board of Education are:
1. Hold the following Board meetings: